Patrons of the UVU Foundation who donated between $5,000 and $10,000.
(For detailed information about the donor, click on his name)
Dr. Osyp Andrushkiv
Dr. Osyp Andrushkiv was born on March 21, 1906 in Horodok, Galicia.
He graduated from the gymnasium in Horodek, near Lviv, where he studied from 1916 to 1924 and in the same year enrolled at the Lviv Polytechnic. After the first semester, he transferred to the Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Sciences of Lviv University named after I. Franko, where he stayed in 1925-30. The Polish authorities did not allow him to pursue a scientific career, so he was forced to earn a living by teaching in gymnasiums.
After the Second World War, he ended up in Karlsfeld. He was a professor at UVU, and in 1946 he received a doctor's degree and an associate professorship at the Ukrainian Free University in Munich. In 1947, while in the camp in Karlsfeld, he helped organize the local Ukrainian gymnasium. In 1949, he moved to ZSA, where he found a job at Seton Hall University in South Orange, in 1956 he became a full professor, and in 1962-71 he was the head of the mathematics department of that university. He was awarded a gold medal in 1956 for his outstanding teaching services.
He participated in the international conference of mathematicians, published works on specific areas of the theory of functions of complex, abstract algebra, probability theory and combinatorics.
He was a valid member of the National Academy of Sciences.
In 1974-1977, he headed the Scientific Society named after T. Shevchenko in ZSA.
Sofia Andrushkiv (nee Kovalchuk) was born in 1907 in a family of teachers. She graduated from the gymnasium in Horodok, then Lviv University, having obtained a master's degree in philosophy. In America - from 1949. She was an active member of the 28th Department of the Ukrainian Academy of Sciences, for her work in the scholarship campaign of the Ukrainian Academy of Sciences, the World Congress of Ukrainians awarded her with the medal of St. Volodymyr.
Founders of the Permanent Scholarship Fund at the UVU Foundation in the amount of 7,000 dollars.
Vasyl Balaban was born on December 30, 1920 in Shlyakhtyntsy, near Ternopil, in a peasant family. He finished high school in Ternopil and in 1939 began studies at the Lviv Polytechnic. With the outbreak of the German-Soviet war in 1941, he left for Austria, where he continued his studies in Graz and Vienna, graduating in 1945 with a diploma in mechanical engineering. Later he moved to Germany, where he stayed in the city of Augsburg until 1948. In the meantime, he started additional studies at the Ukrainian Free University (UUU) in Munich, at the socio-economic department, but left these studies after going to Tunisia (North Africa). After three years of work on the construction of a dam and an irrigation system, he moved to Canada. In Montreal, he got married and worked in the construction of locomotives until he left for America. He met his wife Olga in Germany, in a refugee camp, and they got married in Canada in 1951.
Mrs. Olya, from the house of Rybachuk, was born on November 30, 1925 in the city of Berdychev, where she graduated from high school and survived the difficult times of the German occupation. She was lucky enough to move to Holm, and from there to Austria. Here, in the town of Korneuburg, near Vienna, she worked as an assistant to a local doctor until 1945. So she went with her parents and sister to Germany, to a refugee camp in the city of Augsburg. In 1946, she began her studies at UVU in Munich, at the Faculty of Philosophy. After seven semesters, she left her studies and went to the ZSA, and then to Canada, where she married Vasyl. The first four years were spent in Montreal, and then they moved to New York. At that time, she taught Ukrainian language and history at a parochial school in Ozone Park, near New York, and took care of three daughters, because her husband was often away working in machine-building enterprises for heavy industry. Since 1983, they live in Columbus, Ohio.
Upon moving to Columbus, Mr. Vasyl finished his last job in the construction of power plants for the largest company in the Central African Republic, "AER".
Now they are both retired, members of the Society of Ukrainian Culture in Ohio and parishioners of the local church of St. Ivan the Golden-eared. Although they live far from large Ukrainian communities, they are still interested in Ukrainian affairs and generously support various scientific and cultural institutions and journals in the USSR and in Ukraine, as well as a number of students in Ukraine.
Founders of the Scholarship Fund at the UVU Foundation in the amount of 6,000 dollars.
Roman Bailyak was born in 1925, in the village of Pavelche, Stanislaviv Oblast, in a nationally conscious peasant family. His father was a soldier of the Ukrainian Galician Army in 1918-20s. As an 18-year-old young man, Roman joined the Halychyna Division, and later transferred to the Ukrainian Insurgent Army, in which he fought against the occupiers until 1948, when the fighting unit made its way to Germany in a raid. He received his higher education in America, in New York. In 1952-54 he served in the American Army. Roman Bailyak's autobiography was published in 2005.
Anna Karvanska-Baylyak (née Telyatynska) was born in 1924 in the village of Bukhovychy, Lviv region. During the years of German occupation, she fought underground, for which she served more than seven years in prison. Member of the OUN. Author of the books "In Your Name" and "Ukraine, Recognize!"
In her latest book, the author talks about her more than 40-year efforts to establish the burial place of UPA soldiers — Commander Konik and her first husband, who died in the attack on Bircha on January 6, 1946. Ms. Bailyak's efforts, with the help of a number of good people, were crowned with success.
The sum of 7,300 dollars was donated to the UVU Foundation.
Founders of the Scholarship Fund at the UVU Foundation in the amount of $7,345.
Dr. Peter Bohdanskyi
Dr. Petro Bogdansky was born on July 6, 1912 in Silka, near Sambor. He graduated from trade gymnasium in Sambor. After that, he was drafted into the Polish army and served his mandatory military service. During the German occupation of Ukraine, he volunteered for the German army and was sent to the Eastern Front.
Arrested by the Gestapo in December 1941, he survived the sentences in the Auschwitz, Buchenwald and Dachau concentration camps. He was released from the camp with the arrival of American liberation troops in April 1945.
After the war, he stayed in Munich, where he studied social and economic sciences at the UNRRA University (1945-47) and continued his studies at the Ukrainian Free University in Munich (1947-48). He received a master's degree in 1948, and on October 15, 1949, a doctorate in social and economic sciences.
In 1951, at the age of 39, he came to the USSR, where a year later he married Taisa Holinata. From 1951 to 1954 he worked at Seton Hall University in South Orange, N.J., and from 1953 he worked at the Trident Hospital in Newark. Under his leadership, the almshouse grew from 200,000 dollars to 29 million dollars. During his 30-year presidency, the Bank's professional building at 760 Clifton Avenue in Newark and a branch at Sanford Avenue (Tribent Federal Savings and Loan Association) were built.
He was a member of the NTSh, the Ukrainian Institute of America, the chairman of the building committee of the People's House in Irvington, NJ, a member of the parish council of the Church of St. John the Baptist in Newark and other public organizations.
Taisa Bohdanska, from the Holinat family, was born in Lviv. Studied playing the piano with prof. Roman Savytskyi at the Music Institute named after Lysenko in Lviv. She continued her studies at the Vienna State Conservatory under Prof. Ravsan Strauss. In 1951, she graduated from the conservatory with a diploma.
Moved to America in 1952. In the same year, in November, she married Peter Bohdanskyi. She found professional difficulty as a piano teacher at the Ukrainian Music Institute of America in New York. Subsequently, she became the President of the Ukrainian Music Institute.
Ms. Taisa has performed in various American cities and won praise in the Ukrainian and American press. She made her debut at Carnegie Recital Hall in 1976. In 1993, a concert tour was held in the cities of Ukraine.
Taisa Bogdanska is a member of musical organizations in New Jersey, New York, a member of the Union of Ukrainian Women since 1952.
The Vertiporoks donated during their lifetime, and before her death, Ms. Yulia donated more than 20,000 dollars to religious and scientific institutions, of which the amount of 5,722 dollars was recorded for the Foundation with her previous savings.
She was a constant donor to the UVU Foundation, because she understood its educational and scientific goals well.
She was born in 1912. We know about her that she lived in Florida in the last years of her life. Her husband Ivan-Bohdan Vertyporoh died long before her.
Yulia Vertyporokh lived for 88 years, died on March 5, 2000 in the hospital of St. Antonia in Florida. Before her death, on February 22, 2000, she issued a will in which she allocated part of her property to her friends, and 20,000 dollars to St. Sofia, Lviv Theological Academy, Academic Society named after P. Mohyly and the Foundation of the Ukrainian Free University.
Founders of the Scholarship Fund at the UVU Foundation in the amount of 5,000 dollars.
Onufriy Voznii was extremely self-sacrificing in relation to all scientific and religious institutions known to him.
O. Vozny was born on June 23, 1903 in the village of Island, Ternopil Region, Western Ukraine.
Onufriy got married on November 24, 1934 in a civil marriage with Anna Manyshevska, born on July 26, 1914 in the village of Ostriv, Ternopil region. The wife remained in Ukraine and lived in the city of Stryi, Lviv Region.
During the war, he was in Germany, from where he left for the USSR. He did not remarry here, had no children either of his own or adopted.
Died November 24, 1987 in Florida. On the basis of his will dated June 6, 1986, which was the last, he left a part of his property to various Ukrainian institutions, which after the sale of the estate amounted to 65,900.63 dollars. The following Ukrainian institutions benefited from the distribution of funds: Ukrainian Catholic University, Ukrainian Orthodox Church, NTSh, I. Frank Literary Fund in Chicago, "National Tribuna" newspaper, Ukrainian Catholic Seminary in Stamford and the Foundation of the Ukrainian Free University. He bequeathed part of the property to Harvard.
During his lifetime, he determined the expenses for his funeral and ordered to bury himself in the cemetery of St. Andrew in Bownd Brook, N.J. Died at age 85. He left behind a grateful memory as a benefactor and donor for religious and scientific purposes.
The Glynski family donated 5,225 dollars to the UVU Foundation.
Dr. Glynsky Boris and Ulyana
Dr. Borys Glynskyi came to ZSA in the late 1950s and earned a bachelor's degree at the City College of New York (City College of the University of New York) with a specialization in French language and literature. From 1962 to 1964, he completed his military service in the Ground Forces of the USSR.
Returning to civilian life, he married Ulyana Tsyapka and further continued his studies, receiving a master's degree in French literature in 1967.
He began his professional work as a teacher of French language and literature at Shippensburg State College in Pennsylvania. He later taught these subjects at Lafayette College and Muhlenberg in League Valley, PA.
In 1975, he received a doctorate in comparative literature at the Sorbonne (University de Paris III – Sorbonne Nouvelle) on the basis of a dissertation on the literary connections between Ivan Franko and Emile Zola. The dissertation was the first on Frank to be defended at a French university.
In 1954, he switched from an academic career to government work, first at the Library of Congress, and later at the Department of the Navy, where he held the position of linguist. In this position, he had the opportunity to actively promote cooperation and good relations between the naval forces of France and Poland. He made a personal contribution to establishing friendly relations and cooperation between the highest military personnel of the main naval staff, fleet commanders and the command of the Naval Forces of the USSR and Ukraine. He retired in June 2005.
Ulyana Glynska, from the house of Tsiapka, arrived with her relatives Mykhailo and Emilia and brother Orest to ZSA and settled in New York. She was a student of the Ukrainian Catholic school of St. Ivan the Baptist, a member of Plast and a student of Valentina Pereyaslavets ballet school. She graduated from the Saturday School of Ukrainian Studies in Newark. She completed her higher education with a bachelor's degree with honors in mathematics at Rutgers University and became a member of the prestigious Phi Beta Kappa society. She was a member of the local student community at Rutgers University and SUSTA. She continued her studies in mathematics at Fairleigh Dickinson University, receiving a master's degree.
She began her professional career at Bell Telephone Laboratories. Later, she worked in pharmaceutical companies as a systems analyst, manager and project manager. Since 1991, he has been an employee of the federal government, where he plans and prepares information technology budgets. She recently earned an M.B.A. from George Washington University, D.C. She is a long-time member of Plast and SUA.
The couple has two children — Stefan and Donya Koltsyo, and a granddaughter, Anna Glynska.
Dr. Irena Grebeniak donated 8,555 dollars to the UVU Foundation by 1990.
The late Irena cared about the education of Ukrainian youth and highly valued the ideals of the UVU Foundation. She started paying her first donations in June 1979. With these donations, I wanted to commemorate the memory of my parents St. Mr. Ivan and Stanislava Grebenyakiv and the brother of St. Mr. Romana.
Mrs. Irena wanted to create a Permanent Scholarship Fund, from the interest of which it would be possible to pay scholarships to Ukrainian studying youth, but it was not completed.
Since 1990, Dr. Irena Grebeniak's connection with the UVU Foundation has ceased, and the Foundation has no more information about her.
She left (from her inheritance) 7,000 dollars in her will for the needs of the UVU Foundation.
Patron and founder of the Scholarship Fund at the UVU Foundation in the amount of $5,600.
Anna Dobryanska was born in America, her relatives emigrated here even before the First World War. Father, Mykhailo Dobryanskyi, came from the village of Oratka in Lemkiv region, mother - from the village of Korostenka. Anna was born in 1913 in Manchester, New Hampshire. From her father and mother, she inherited a sincere love for Ukraine and deep respect for Ukrainian cultural heritage. All her life she belonged to the Ukrainian church in Manchester, which was built after the arrival of her relatives from Europe. In 1932, she graduated from the "boy school" in Manchester, then worked at the Manchester Regional Bank.
The founder of the Scholarship Fund named after her husband, Dr. Volodymyr Dushnyk, at the UVU Foundation in the amount of 5,150 dollars.
Volodymyr Dushnyk was born in 1908 in the village of Zastavne, Pidgaitsi District, Galicia. He graduated from the classical gymnasium in Berezhany, and passed the matura at the small Theological Seminary in Lviv, given that the Polish police deprived him of the opportunity to study before the matura.
From Lviv, he went to Belgium, where he studied in Leuven in 1932-35, earning there a bachelor's degree in political and social sciences and international relations. He received his doctorate at UVU in 1965, defending his thesis on the topic "Ukrainian Central Council and the Russian Provisional Government".
After arriving in America in 1935, he earned a master's degree in political science at Columbia University. In 1942-45 he served in the US Army and took part in battles in Sainap, the Philippine Islands and Okinawa, Japan. He was a translator in the headquarters of Gen. Douglas McArthur in Manila and Tokyo, and later Eisenhower.
He was the editor of the "Nationalist" in New York (1936), the Bulletin of the ODSU, "Studentsky Shlyah", was published in the Literary and Scientific Bulletin of Dr. Dmytro Dontsov, "Rozbudu Nacija" and "Surma". He started contributing to Svoboda newspaper in America from Belgium. He was also the editor of Trident. In 1959-65 he was the editor of "Ukrainian Weekly", in 1949-1970 he was the editor of "De Ukrainian Bulletin", in 1957-58 he was the chief editor of the English-language quarterly "De Ukrainian Quarterly", in 1980-1985 he edited "De Ukrainian Newsletter" ", which was issued by the SKVU.
Dushniki Maria and Volodymyr
Volodymyr Dushnyk's English-language works include: "Death and Ruin on the Curzon Line", "Immigrants are People", "Martyrdom in Ukraine", "In Search of Freedom", "Ukrainian Catholic Church at the Ecumenical Council 1062-65". His English-language work "Ukrainian Heritage in America", edited together with Dr. Mykola Chirovsky, appeared in 1991, but already after his death at the age of 83 in the same year.
One of the most active figures of the Ukrainian People's Union.
The wife of the late Volodymyr Maria is a public figure. When V. Dushnyk was the director of the American Catholic immigration mission, his wife and son Mark moved with him to South America, to Rio de Janeiro. She was an adviser and support for her husband. Marko's son chose military service and was a lieutenant colonel in the US Army Reserve.
Anna Zablotska is the founder of the Scholarship fund at the UVU Foundation in the amount of 5,000 dollars.
We know that Anna Zablotska signed her will on November 17, 1992. From the meager data about her identity provided in the will, we learn that Anna Zablotska was single. Father Ivan Zablotsky, mother Maria Zablotsky and brother Emil Zablotsky died before St. Mr. Anna It is known that Anna's father had one brother and five sisters. Mother Maria had three sisters - Nastya, Anna and Kateryna.
Anna Zablotska died on September 5, 1995 in Hamtremck, Michigan. She left behind a large property, from the sale of which she assigned considerable sums to her family, friends and numerous organizations.
To the Cathedral of St. Yura in Lviv assigned 100,000 dollars, and in addition, she assigned significant sums from 25,000 to 1,000 dollars to numerous churches, monasteries, sisters, scientific and school institutions. The UVU Foundation allocated 5,000 dollars.
The memory of this philanthropist and benefactor will live among people for a long time.
Founders of the Scholarship Fund at the UVU Foundation in the amount of 5,750 dollars.
Bohdan Kachor was born on November 14, 1924 in the village of Leshniv, Brodivsky District, Lviv Region. After the public school, he entered the secondary trade school in Brody. During his school years, during the first Soviet occupation, he was a liaison in the OUN Youth until 1943, when he was arrested by the Gestapo for underground activities. Bohdan was sent to the Auschwitz concentration camp, and in January 1945 - to Mavtgavzen and later - to the Ebenze concentration camp. Liberated by the American army on May 6, 1945.
After passing the exams at the Ukrainian Secondary Trade School in Augsburg, he studied economics at the Ukrainian Higher School of Economics, where the rector was Prof. Boris Martos.
After graduating, he moved to Argentina, where his father, brother and sister lived. He entered and successfully graduated with a master's degree from the Faculty of Economics of the University of Buenos Aires.
In Argentina, he was a co-founder of the Union of Ukrainian Youth, the founder of the "Fortuna" cooperative, headed the "Prosvita" Society, published the magazine "Free Ukraine" and books about the liberation struggle of Ukraine. After moving to New York in 1975, Bohdan Kachor immediately entered the political and public life of local Ukrainians, for many years he headed the OOCHSU, is a member of the Board of the UVU Foundation, the head of the Board of the World League of Ukrainian Political Prisoners.
With his wife Ivanka (from Vitoshinskyi), he raised two children, Sofia and Ivan, both of whom received higher education.
Created a fund for the needs of the UVU Foundation in the amount of 7,029 dollars.
Created a fund for the needs of the UVU Foundation in the amount of 5,481 dollars.
A scholarship fund in their name was established at the UVU Foundation by their daughter Kvitoslava, in the amount of 8,607 dollars.
Prof. Kushnir Omelyan
Professor Omelyan Kushnir was born in 1902 in the village of Volchyshovichi, Lviv region, in the family of Mykola's father and Olga (from Lomnytskyi). After studying at the Przemyśl Gymnasium, he obtained his higher education with a master's degree in philosophy at Lviv University. An active member of the Ukrainian national liberation movement, a lieutenant of the Ukrainian Galician Army, a member of the Ukrainian Armed Forces and the OUN, while in exile he is a member of the Liberation League of Ukraine, the Liberation Front Organization, the head of the Montreal Branch of the Canadian Ukrainian Congress, a stratum-senior figure, a member of the UPS "Characteristics", director and teacher of Ukrainian studies courses, editor of the "Regensburg" collection, co-editor of the "Boikivshchyna" magazine. He was awarded the Shevchenko medal for conscientious public work. He died in Toronto in 1988, at the age of 85. Buried in Toronto, Canada, at the cemetery of St. Volodymyr, Oakville, Ontario.
He left his wife Yaroslava (from the house of Zinkevich) and daughter Maria-Kvitoslava in sorrow.
Founders of the Scholarship Fund at the UVU Foundation in the amount of $9,350.
Father Hryhoriy Lysko was born in 1921 in the Lemkivka village of Bonarivka. As a 20-year-old young man, he ended up in Germany under duress. In 1954, he married Erna Maila, a Ukrainian woman of German origin. After coming to America, he first lived with his family in Philadelphia, immersed himself in public work, which earned him high authority and respect. After the death of his wife, he completed the pastoral courses of the UAOC and was ordained by Metropolitan Mstislav to the rank of deacon, and later he received episcopal ordination and became the rector of the Church of the Holy Trinity in Seattle, Washington state. Father died. Grigory is 68 years old.
The sum of 7,590 dollars was donated to the UVU Foundation. At their request, all the money was immediately sent to the needs of the Ukrainian Free University.
Founders of the Scholarship Fund at the UVU Foundation in the amount of 7,775 dollars.
Yevhen Lutskyi was born in 1908 in Stanislaviv, Galicia. Having obtained secondary education, he became an active member of the cooperative movement in the region, later he was the director of the District Union of Cooperatives in Stanislaviv. After emigrating to America, he took an active part in the life of the Ukrainian community, exemplarily performing the duties of the bookkeeper of the office of the Ukrainian Congressional Committee of America in New York, the treasurer of the Society of Compatriots of Stanislaviv, the bookkeeper of the USK Sports Club in New York.
Bl. Mr. Yevhen Lutskyi lived for 85 years and passed away on January 26, 1993. The mortal remains of the Deceased rest at the Gate of Heaven Cemetery, Mt. Pleasant, N. Y.
Oksana Lutska (from the house of Lemekh) was born in Stanislavov in 1913. She graduated from the Ukrainian Girls' Gymnasium "Native School" in Stanislavov, worked as a teacher, organizer of Ukrainian kindergartens in the region. From a young age, she was an active soldier, a member of the Ukrainian Military Organization and the Organization of Ukrainian Nationalists. Political prisoner in Polish, German and Bolshevik prisons. While emigrating to the USSR, she is active in the Ukrainian community, a member of the boards of the Committee of Ukrainian-American Organizations of New York, the Patriarchal Society, the UVU Foundation, the Union of Ukrainian Catholics "Providinnia" (head of the New York district, financial secretary of the 1st Department), a long-time contributor to the Ukrainian press.
Created a fund for the needs of the UVU Foundation in the amount of 5,050 dollars.
Created a fund for the needs of the UVU Foundation in the amount of 6,500 dollars.
Founders of the Permanent Scholarship Fund at the UVU Foundation in the amount of $8,200, beginning in 1985. Julian Politylo died, but his wife Anna continues their business.
Dr. Politylo Yuliyan
Anna flew away
The Rudnytskyi Manor established the Scholarship Fund named after Leonid and Irena Rudnytskyi in the amount of 5,265 dollars for studies and publishing activities at the Ukrainian Free University.
Prof. Dr. Leonid Rudnytskyi and Irena
Leonid Rudnytskyi is the son of a centurion of the Ukrainian Galician Army, a co-creator of the Listopadovy Zryv, and Yulia, from the Luzhnytskyi, born in 1935 in Lviv. Longtime professor of German and comparative literature at La Salle University in Philadelphia. Founder and director of the Central and Eastern European Studies program. Professor of the Ukrainian Catholic University (1991-2005). Active member of the National Academy of Sciences and President of the World Council of the National Academy of Sciences (1991-2005) and member of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine.
Irena Rudnytska, from the Yevinsh family, was born in Riga, Latvia, in 1936. Long-time professor of foreign languages (French, German, and Russian) and literature at Immaculate University, PA., where she also served as dean of the evening school and director of Alumni (1973-1979). Member of numerous professional organizations, author of scientific works and translations.
Both are active in the public and church-lay life of the Ukrainians of the ZSA.
The founder of the Scholarship fund at the UVU Foundation in the amount of 6,030 dollars.
Filimon Savechko was born on December 5, 1910 in the village of Manayevi, Zborivsky District, Western Ukraine. Agrippina's mother took care of his upbringing, and his father, a teacher, a sincere Ukrainian patriot, educated his son, instilling in him social and national values and moral virtues. As a young man, still a student, he got involved in the work of his people, organizing Prosvit Society, cooperatives, and self-educational groups in the villages. He was a member of the Organization of Ukrainian Nationalists, so he was persecuted by the Polish authorities for his activities. Having survived the first occupation by the Bolsheviks, working as a teacher in his village, he got to know all the "good things" of the red "paradise" and on the eve of the second Bolshevik occupation, together with his father, he left his native land, heading west. Having crossed the lines of refugee camps in Germany, he ended up on the free land of Washington in the USSR. Here, working in printing machine factories, he saves money, lives modestly, but with a generous hand helps Ukrainian organizations, donates to scientific purposes, a museum, youth and sports educational organizations.
Died February 11, 1987 in Hartford. With regret, the friends and the board of the UVU Foundation said goodbye to their benefactor and philanthropist.
In memory of her husband, Dr. Konstantin Savchuk, wife Marta established the Permanent Scholarship Fund at the UVU Foundation in the amount of 6,510 dollars.
Prof. Dr. Konstantin Savchuk was born on December 24, 1931 in Horodenka, in the family of Pavel and Sofia Savchuk. He came to America in his youth.
He successfully graduated from St. Peters College and Columbia University, in 1969 he received a doctorate in history, a several-time scholar, since 1964 a professor of history and dean of the Faculty of Philosophy at St. Peters College, visiting professor at the University of Penn since 1973, lecturer at the Maritime Institute of the ZSA, member of Ukrainian and American scientific organizations. His scientific works were evaluated by connoisseurs as highly valuable.
Dr. Kost Savchuk was a member of the editorial board of the magazine "Vizvolnyi Shlyach", edited the organ of the TUSM "Phoenix", and was also published in the English-language editions "Survey", "Ukrainian Review".
During his student years, he was the inspiration of the Ukrainian nationalist idea and a role model for all young people in family life.
Author of the work "Ukraine at the UN, 1944-50", numerous scientific articles in English-language publications. The aforementioned work was his dissertation and was published in 1970 by Columbia University Press. In addition to his scientific work, Dr. Savchuk published in professional and scientific journals, having published in: "European Status Review", 1971, the work "Ukraine: a sovereign and independent state?" Legal approach"; "Survey", 1974, — "Opposition in Ukraine: seven against the regime"; "Survey", 1979, — "Soviet legal interpretation of international documents on human rights".
Belonged to uncompromising, unyielding Ukrainian patriots-nationalists. Died prof. K. Savchuk on January 28, 1981, buried at the Ukrainian cemetery of St. Andrew the First-Called in Bavnd Brook.
The founder of the Scholarship fund at the UVU Foundation in the amount of 5,205 dollars.
The financial sponsor of the publication of the book "Ukraine's contribution to the treasury of world culture" started a special fund for this purpose, investing 20,000 dollars in it.
Stepan Salik was born in the old Ukrainian city of Yaroslavl (now on Polish territory) in 1902. He graduated from a teacher's seminar in Lviv, and later from the Faculty of Natural Sciences and Geography of Lviv University.
He was a teacher, belonged to the "Forest Devils" strata camp, was active in "Prosvit" and in the cooperative movement. In 1950, he came to America and settled in New York. From 1951 to 1966, he studied at the school of St. Yura. For 22 years, he worked at the A. Klein company in New York. Salik was a member of the UNS, Division 204. He died on March 11, 1993, at the age of 91, in Gunter, NY.
Founders of the Scholarship Fund at the UVU Foundation in the amount of 6,000 dollars.
Donated 5,470 dollars to the needs of the UVU Foundation.
She donated 7,239 dollars to the needs of the UVU Foundation, thus fulfilling her husband's desire to promote Ukrainian science and studying youth.
Dr. Mykhailo Sosnovsky was born in 1919, in Ternopil Oblast, in Western Ukraine. He was a well-known journalist, publicist and social and political figure.
From 1944 he was in Germany and was involved in the Ukrainian student movement. He was the editor of the Samostoynyk magazine in 1946, an employee of the Student Herald and the Chas newspaper (1946-48).
Mykhailo Sosnovsky was a leading figure of the OUN. In 1948, he left for Canada, where he became active in the ranks of the League for the Liberation of Ukraine (1949-1970), a member of its Main Board and the head of its press office. In 1948-1970, he was the editor-in-chief of the newspaper "Homin of Ukraine", a parliamentary correspondent and a member of the National Press Office in Ottawa.
From 1972 he was in the ZSA, where he became the editor of the Svoboda newspaper and its accredited correspondent at the United Nations.
Dr. Mykhailo Sosnovsky is the author of several respected books: "Ukraine on the International Arena, 1945-1965", published in 1960, "Dmytro Dontsov - Political Portrait" (1974) and "Essay on the History of Ukrainian Political Thought" (1976), which remained unfinished, although some fragments appeared in 1976.
He died in 1975, at the age of 56, in the prime of his creative powers.
Shortly after the tragic death of St. Mr. Mykhailo Sosnovsky had the idea to publish selected printed and some of his unprinted reports. Many of the author's works from 1968 to his death were included in the book "Between Optimism and Pessimism", prepared for publication by his wife, Oksana Sosnovska, and published by the National Academy of Sciences.
Donated 5,320 dollars for the needs of the UVU Foundation.
Dr. Stoyko Volodymyr
Volodymyr Stoyko, the only son of Kateryna and Petro Stoyki, was born on November 23, 1925 in the village of Zhornyska, near Lviv. He began his education at a folk school in the village, and finished it in Lviv, at the school named after Boris Grinchenko. He also started high school studies there, but his studies were interrupted by the war. Even then, he joined the youth group of the Organization of Ukrainian Nationalists, he was assigned to deliver aid to the Ukrainian Insurgent Army. Later, in 1944, he was ordered to go abroad, to Germany. Therefore, when the post-war forced repatriation began, he fled to Austria.
In 1945, he found himself near Salzburg, where he entered the Ukrainian Youth Organization "Plast" and the Salzburg Gymnasium, which he graduated from in 1948. He headed the student community there, and in 1948, on behalf of the OUN, he was one of the initiators of the Union of Ukrainian Youth.
In 1949, he left for the USA, where he immediately got involved in the OUN and Plast network. Already in the same year, from the shoulder of the OUN, he took up the organization of the SUM in the USA. At the same time, he tried to continue his studies: first at the City College of New York, having passed the exam for a bachelor's degree, and later - a master's degree and a doctorate in history at New York University. In 1956, he married Myroslava Gendus. Two daughters were born to the couple - Roksolyana, now Lozynska, and Oksana, now Dziadiv.
Throughout his professional life, he taught at the State University, for 30 years at Manhattan College, for a longer time, by invitation, at New York University, at the Ukrainian Free University, and at Lviv University named after Ivan Franko, in the Fulbright program. As a student in the USA, he was active in the Union of Ukrainian Student Societies of America and, on behalf of SUSTA, edited the student page of the Svoboda magazine, and then for three years edited the SUSTA organ "Horizonty". He was also one of the activists of the Fund of the Department of Ukrainian Studies at Harvard.
As a professor-historian, he published a number of scientific publications in various Ukrainian and English-language publications - books, magazines and journals, and also taught at many scientific conferences in the USA and Europe, and therefore in independent Ukraine. Since 1970, he was a valid member of the Scientific Society named after Shevchenko in America, where he held leadership positions, including scientific secretary, and later served in the Board of the World National Academy of Sciences. Soon he became a valid member of the Ukrainian Free Academy of Sciences.
For many years he was engaged in social and community activities. In particular, as a member of the Executive Committee of the Ukrainian Congressional Committee of America, for ten years he was the editor-in-chief of the UKCA's English-language magazine "The Ukrainian Quarterly". Since 2002, he headed the Foundation of the Ukrainian Free University. Throughout his life, he worked in the OUN, most recently as an adviser and editor, as well as in Plast, in particular in the "Chervonaya Kalina" detachment.
He was awarded several times by the bodies of the Ukrainian state, the highest awards of the World Congress of Ukrainians, UKKA, UVU and Plast.
Dr. Volodymyr Stoyko passed away in New Brunswick, New Jersey on May 4, 2006.
Dr. Temnytskyi donated 7,400 dollars to the Foundation, creating a Permanent Scholarship Fund.
The family of Tira, Vasyl and Olga, began donating to the UVU Foundation to help young students in June 1979, and to date can boast of a total of 5,850 dollars.
At first, the Tyra family lived in the suburbs of Chicago, and later moved to Poland and now live in the city of Zielona Góra.
The couple is interested in the activities of the Foundation, and when there was a need to support the initiative of sending books from ZSA to Lviv, to the Library of the Ukrainian Diaspora and other universities, they gladly agreed to cover part of the expenses.
The people of Tira remember their friends and donate in their bright memory, enriching the fund started at the UVU Foundation with their donations. So, in 1995, the lordship of Tira donated 300 dolars in memory of Dr. Ebens Smal, and in May 1996 they additionally donated 500 dolars in memory of Volodymyr and Igor Stoyalovsky.
The last donation of the Tyriv lordship reached UVU on November 3, 2000.
In memory of M.Sc. Myron Utrysk, Galya's wife founded a permanent scholarship fund in the amount of 5,000 dollars.
M.Sc. Utrysko Myron
Myron Utrysko, M.Sc., was born on August 30, 1908 in Lviv, but spent his youth in Turka, Boykiv region, where his father worked. In Lviv, he graduated from gymnasium, trade academy, law and diplomatic studies at Lviv University. In 1934, he received a master's degree in law. Therefore, he opened his law office in Lviv.
Conducted research in three areas: ethnographic, historical and philological. Before the Second World War, he was a collaborator in "Novy Chas".
During his studies and after them, he took an active part in Ukrainian social and public life, was the chairman of the Board of the "Renaissance" T.V., founded the T.V. for graduate students - economists, traders who graduated from a higher trade school. At that time, he was a member of the Boards of numerous societies and organizations, and was also a prisoner of "Brigidok".
During the Second World War, M. Utrysko, M.Sc., lived in Lviv, where he practiced as a lawyer. During the Bolshevik occupation, he was persecuted and forced to hide. During the German occupation, he took an active part in various areas of Ukrainian life. Having emigrated before the second Bolshevik occupation, he settled in Passau, Germany, where he founded the Ukrainian Committee, Plast, the Red Cross and was the district leader of the OUN. Later, he moved to Regensburg, took part in the Osel Administration, was the founder of some Societies and was widely active in various organizations. After becoming an officer of the IRO, he moved to Amberg for a while, from where he later moved his office, leaving part of his staff in Amberg.
In 1950, he moved to the USSR, settling permanently in Philadelphia. Here he was the main organizer of the "Provydinnia" SUC, the head of the OOCHSU and AMS, a member of the boards of many headquarters and branches. Until the end of his life, he was the head of the Main Board of TV "Boikivshchyna" and the editor of its numerous publications. He was the leader of the 4th Kuren of the "Characteristics" UPS, the head of Bulava, the "Black Sea" corporation, the head of the Ukrainian World IMCA and a member of the boards of various regional and local institutions and societies.
In America, in 1952, he wrote the book "What is Providence", which was published by the publishing house "America". On the anniversary of Soter Ortynskyi, he published the book "Bishop-Pioneer". Conducted research and collected biographies of prominent Ukrainians who distinguished themselves in world science by their activities, wrote articles about them. For the Encyclopedia of Ukrainian Studies, he wrote a number of slogan articles about prominent Ukrainians of the Boykiv region. He was the founder, owner and manager of the Ukrainian radio program named after Shevchenko for 27 years in Philadelphia.
Together with Prof. Oleksa Berezhnytsky collected materials and published the book "Hetman Petro Sahaidachnyi", and in 1980 he was the chief editor and publisher of the monumental book "Monograph of Boykivshchyna". In 1981 M. Utrysko, M.Sc., published an illustrated travel book "Notes from the Road", in 1983 he was a collaborator and co-publisher of the book "Vienna 1863 - Cossacks and Kulchytsky" and the chief editor and publisher of the book "Kulchytsky and the Cossacks, Heroes of the Viennese Victory in 1683". In 1984, with the cooperation of M. Utryska, the book "Utrysko Family Heritage Book" appeared in the "Beatrice" publishing house. His last name is included in the book "Ukrainians in America", in the book "In the Land of Stars". In 1982, his work "Kish Plastunov in Philadelphia" was published.
He passed away on September 2, 1988, at the age of 81.
Mr. and Mrs. Maria and Rudolph Fischer created a permanent scholarship fund at the UVU Foundation in the amount of 5,630 dollars.
Fisher Maria and Rudolph
Dr. Rudolf Fischer was born in 1912 in Straubing, Bavaria, to Dr. Vicentius and Maria Fischer. He graduated from the classical 8-year high school in Munich and medical studies at the Humboldt University in Berlin in 1936. During the Second World War, he was a military doctor with the Wehrmacht on the Western and Eastern fronts.
After the war, he specialized in obstetrics and gynecology at the university clinic in Munich. After that, he had a private practice. Married to Dr. Maria Slyzh in 1959. Died in 1982.
Dr. Maria Slyzh-Fisher was born in Kolomyia in 1922, in the family of judge Dr. Adolf and Olga Slyzh. Before World War II, she lived with her parents in Lviv, where she studied at the academic gymnasium. In 1939, the Slyzh family was forced to leave Lviv and move to the cities of Belz and Kholm. During the subsequent blizzard of war, Maria ended up in Munich, where she graduated from the medical faculty of Ludwik Maximilian University. In 1950, she became a doctor of medical sciences and emigrated with her family to the USA, where she was engaged in an active private practice, treating children in Kankakee, Illinois. Married Dr. Rudolph Fischer. Maria Fisher now lives in Toronto, Canada.
Dr. Maria Fischer is a pediatrician, a long-time member of the board of the North American Medical Association (ULTPA) in Chicago, former chairman of the ULTPA in Toronto, chairman of the Friends of the Ukrainian Historical Society in Toronto, chairman of the Friends of the Academic Gymnasium in the diaspora, member of the Scientific Society named after Shevchenko, member of the board of the Canadian Society of Friends of Ukraine, founder-patron of the revival of Ukrainian spirituality and culture.
Donated 6,725 dollars to the needs of the UVU Foundation.
Created a fund for the needs of the UVU Foundation in the amount of 6,106 dollars.
Since 1979, the Shumeykas, Vera and Antony, were among the first donors to the UVU Foundation. And since 1984, they began donating to the Permanent Scholarship Fund, amounting to 7,430 dollars.
The Shumeykas were the owners of the travel agency Kobasnyuk Travel, which Mrs. Vira took over from her parents, who came from Ukraine even before the First World War. In 1924, Vera's father, a notary, founded a notary office, which today is known as Kobasniuk Travel Agency. The father, as a good patriot, gave his daughter Vera love and kindness to her people, which she testified by her actions throughout her life. From the time when the UVU Foundation, under the leadership of Professor P. Goy, began organizing trips around Europe, Mr. From 1981 to 1992, Kobasniuk travel agency issued documents for almost 300 students free of charge in the footsteps of their parents across Europe. In 1985, the participants of the trips celebrated the 65th anniversary of the Kobasniuk travel agency with the Foundation.
The last donation from the Shumeik family came in 1989. They left for eternity in the mid-1990s. Mrs. Vera outlived her husband by several years.
The Yarysh family, Ivan and Lesya, donated 5,550 dollars to the Permanent Scholarship Fund at the UVU Foundation.
Ivan Yarysh was born on April 23, 1919 in the village of Velyka Sloboda, Yaroslavl District. The village of Sloboda no longer exists today. In this village, Ivan graduated from public school. He took part in the village dance club, the village choir and the amateur club as a youth. He also belonged to the "Lug" sports association.
At the beginning of the Second World War, he was taken to Germany, to Bavaria for forced labor. Ivan was lucky to get to work with good people.
After World War II, in April 1945, he enrolled in a technical school in the city of Mannheim, Germany, and later moved to Regensburg, Bavaria. Here he continued the carpentry course, which he finished with honors, and on May 22, 1948, he received a diploma. While in Germany, he learned about the brutal destruction of his native village by Communist-Polish thugs and the death of his sister Maria, who was murdered together with her husband back in 1945.
By a happy accident, in 1949, through the magazine "Freedom", he found his aunt, who took him to America, to the city of Hartford, Conn. There he became a waiter's assistant, and later began to work professionally - as a professional carpenter in a large house construction company and as a "foreman".
In 1962, he married Lesya Horobchuk, daughter of Alexander and Rozalia Horobchuk, born in 1923. She was a local Ukrainian, born in Hartford, where she graduated from high school. After studying typing and shorthand and obtaining a diploma with honors, she found work in the main government of the state health department as a stenographer and executive accountant. After 38 years of work, she was awarded an Honorary Certificate of Recognition by the then Governor of the State of Connecticut, Mrs. Ella Grasso.
The Yarish family is childless, but they are devoted to scientific and national social goals. They are members of the parish, UKCA, SUMA, OOCHSU, Ukrainian House and the Patriarchate Division.
Donated 5,500 dollars to the needs of the UVU Foundation.